A critical success factor to taming Big Earth Data are open standards and their scalable implementation. OGC with its coverage data and service standards has established an open, modular framework. Actually, the OGC Web Coverage Service (WCS) enjoys a large and growing implementation basis. The OGC WCS Core Reference Implementation rasdaman represents a flexible, high-performance open-source Array Database System which has shown to scale to 100+ Terabyte databases and splitting single queries over 1,000+ cloud nodes.
To ease and foster uptake of these OGC Big Earth Data standards a series of Webinars has been produced by EarthServer. The videos are hosted on Youtube and linked here for your convenience, together with a one-hour TV feature "Big Earth Data" done collaboratively with German TV stations ZDF and ARTE during EarthServer phase 1.
The following webinars are / will become available:
- Grid Coverages, Rectified Grid Coverages; encodings
- Referenceable Grid Coverage: irregular data
- Timeseries, Going Multi-Dimensional
- Web Coverage Service (WCS): [ OGC WCS Core | OGC WCS Extensions | Data Import with WCS-T ]
- Web Coverage Processing Service (WCPS): [ Introduction | Advanced ]
- Architecture, Installation, Administration
- Query Language
- OGC coverage standards download page
- OGC public Coverages.DWG wiki, offering background info
- Hands-on demonstration of coverage services
- Wikipedia information on the pioneer array database rasdaman as well as coverages, WCS and WCPS
Peter Baumann, Jacobs University | rasdaman GmbH
Dimitar Misev, Jacobs University
Alex Dumitru, Jacobs University
Vlad Merticariu, Jacobs University
Heike Hoenig, rasdaman GmbH
Credits for xWCPS 2.0 Webinar
Copyright (c) 2016 CITE.
This activity was co-funded by the European Commission under H2020 project EarthServer-2